Upavon now has two AEDs (automated external defibrillator) installed, these are devices that give the heart an electric shock when someone’s heart has stopped (cardiac arrest).
Where are the two Upavon AEDs?
1 - On the wall of the Village Shop
2 - For the Avon Square/Downsview area of Upavon the AED is installed in the red phonebox on Downsview
If you need to access an AED you will need to:
Send someone to call 999 or 112 and they will be instructed on how to open the box and access the AED, in the mean time do ordinary resuscitation (CPR).
How do I use a defibrillator/AED?
You can use an AED with no training. The machine analyses someone’s heart rhythm and then uses visual or voice prompts to guide you through each step.
• First, make sure someone has called for an ambulance, and, if an AED isn’t immediately available, give CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) until someone can bring you an AED.
• As soon as you’ve got an AED, switch it on. It will immediately start to give you a series of visual and verbal prompts informing you of what you need to do. Follow these prompts until the ambulance arrives or someone with more experience than you takes over.
• Take the pads out of the sealed pack. Remove or cut through any clothing and wipe away any sweat from the chest
• Remove the backing paper and attach the pads to their chest
• Once you’ve done this, the AED will start checking the heart rhythm. Make sure that no-one is touching the person. Continue to follow the voice and/or visual prompts that the machine gives you until help arrives.
For more information on how to use the "AED Plus" we have in Upavon please view this video
It is recomended to view this video so you are pre-prepared should you need to use the AED